Martha H. Viera M.D. Curriculum Vitae
Education and Medical Training:
October 1993 – March 2001 Medical Doctor (M.D)
Central University of Venezuela, Luis Razetti School of Medicine, Caracas, Venezuela
• July 1993-Bachelor Degree. Honored bachelor degree.
• American Medical Association (AMA) Physician’s Recognition Award (PRA)
• 2008 Recognition of Excellence Award (Residents and Fellow Section of AMA)
• 2012 Women’s Dermatologic Society Mentorship Award
June 2011-2014 Dermatology Residency University of Miami/ Jackson Memorial Hospital
June 2010-June 2011
General Surgery Internship. University of Miami/ Jackson Memorial Hospital.
July 2006-June 2010
University of Miami Miller School of Medicine
Department of Dermatology; Postdoctoral associate/ Dermatology Research senior fellow
November 2005-May 2006: Visiting Physician.
CosMeDic Center, Miami Beach- Florida
Feb 2005- June 2005
Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, Florida
Harrington Obeservership Program at University of Miami.
July 2004- November 2004
Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, Florida
Harrington Observership Program at University of Miami.
June 2003 – June 2004 Baptist Hospital, Miami, Florida
April 2001 – February 2002 IDET Clinic, Triage and emergency medicine, Caracas, Venezuela
March 2000 – March 2001 “La Arenera” Outpatient Clinic Medical Director. Miranda, Venezuela
March 2000 – August 2000 Caurimare Clinic, triage And emergency medicine Miranda, Venezuela.
March 1999 – March 2000 Central University of Venezuela Hospital. Internship- Transitional Year
2011-Present Woman’s Dermatology Society
2009-Present American Telemedicine Association
2009-Present International Society of Dermatology
2008-Present American Medical Association
2000-Present Colegio de Medicos de D.F. Caracas, Venezuela
2010-Present American Society of Dermatologic Surgery (ASDS)
Richmond, N, Viera, M,Velazquez-Vega, J, Kerdel. Cutaneous Metastasis of Cervical Adenocarcinoma to the Vulva. Journal Issue:Dermatology Online Journal, 19(5) UC DavisF. Publication Date: March 2013. Dermatology Online Journal/ http://www.escholarship.org/uc/item/5zf014h5
Viera M, Kirsner RS. J Invest Dermatol. 2013 May;133(5):e1. doi:10.1038/jid.2013.121. JID VisualDx Quiz: February 2013.
Viera M, Costales SM, Regalado J, Alonso-Llamazares J. Inflammatory tinea faciei mimicking Sweet’s syndrome. Actas Dermosifiliogr. 2012 Jul 9.
Maderal AD, Viera M, Alonso-Llamazares J.Systemic lupus erythematosus with dystrophic calcifications. Int J Dermatol. 2012 Sep 24.
Viera M Amini S Berman B. Keloid and Hypertrophic Scar. eMedicine from WebMD. Updated May, 2012. Available at: http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic205.htm
Vivas, A; Tang, J; Maderal, A; Viera, M. “Hypertrophic Scar and Keloid Treatment II,” Cosmetic Dermatology. March 2012
Vivas, A; Tang, J; Maderal, A; Viera, M. “Hypertrophic Scar and Keloid Treatment I,” Cosmetic Dermatology. Oct 2011
Viera M, Caperton CV, Berman B. Advances in the treatment of keloids. Journal of Drugs in Dermatology. 2011 May;10(5):468-80.
Rajpara V, Valins W, Viera M, Amini S, Konda S, Rouhani P, Berman B. Letter: a comparison study of the tensile strength of sutures used in dermatologic surgery following exposure to petrolatum. Dermatol Surg. 2011 Feb;37(2):288-9.
Block S, Valins W, Caperton C, Viera M, Amini S, Berman B. Exacerbation of Facial Acne Vulgaris After Consuming Pure Chocolate. Journal of American Academy of Dermatology. Accepted August 21, 2010.
Valins W, Caperton C, Viera M, Amini S, Berman B. Actinic Keratosis. Elsevier First Consult. www.firstconsult.com. Accepted May 22, 2010.
Valins W, Viera M, Amini S, Berman B. Rating the 4-Star UVA Rating System. Cosmetic Dermatology. Accepted on: May 20, 2010.
30 more publications 2007-2010 (not included)
11 Book Chapter (not included)
State, national and international presentation:
1. – A prospective, randomized, single-blind, comparative study evaluating the tolerability and efficacy of intralesional etanercept compared to intralesional triamcinolone acetonide for the treatment of keloids. 2008 American Academy of Dermatology Meeting
2.-Treatment of keloid scars post-shave excision with imiquimod 5% cream: a prospective, double blind, placebo controlled pilot study. 2008 American Academy of Dermatology Meeting
3. – Detection of TNF-α in Inflammatory and Non-Inflammatory Acneiform Lesions. 2008 AmericanAcademy of Dermatology Meeting
4. – A prospective, randomized, investigator-blinded, placebo-controlled, comparative study evaluating the tolerability and efficacy of two topical medications vs. placebo for the treatment of keloids and hypertrophic scars.(pending for publication). 2008 American Academy of Dermatology Meeting
5. – Recognition of the recent emergence of community-associated Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus by Florida dermatologists. 2008 American Academy of Dermatology Meeting
6.- Phenytoin associated hypersensitivity syndrome with features of DRESS and TEN. Gross and Microscopy Symposium. 2008 American Academy of Dermatology Meeting
7.- “Inflammatory tinea faciei mimicking Sweet’s syndrome”, Gross & Microscopic Dermatology Symposium at 2009 American Academy of Dermatology
8.- Cytotoxic Cutaneous T Cell Lymphoma: Case presentation at the Miami Dermatology Society Meeting at University of Miami Miller School of Medicine.
9.- Cytotoxic Cutaneous T Cell Lymphoma gamma-delta Type.” Invited speaker: Viera, MH, Department of Dermatology Grand Rounds, State University of New York, Brooklyn, NY
10. “Expansion of the 2007 PICMED grant for Telemedicine Providing Continuing Medical Education in Dermatology to Latin America, Alaska and Hawaii”. 2009 American Telemedicine Association meeting
11.- “Inflammatory tinea faciei mimicking Sweet’s syndrome Case presentation. Invited speaker at 2009 Venezuelan Dermatology Meeting.
12.- Oral Polypodium Leucotomos Extract Supplement Decreases UVA-Induced “Common Deletion” in Healthy Volunteers. . Invited speaker at 2009 Venezuelan Dermatology Meeting.
13.- Experiencia de Teledermatología en Latinoaméric. Dra. Martha Viera, (Ven). Simposio de Fotografía Clínica e Informática. Învited speaker at 2010 CILAD meeting, Cancun Mexico.
Valins W, Block S, Caperton C, Viera M, Amini S, Berman B. Chocolate and Acne. Abstract accepted for the 37th Annual Eastern-Atlantic Student Research Forum. February 23-26, 2011. Miami, FL.
American Academy of Dermatology (Meeting 2009):
1. – Tolerability and Efficacy of Two Marketed Topical Preparations Versus Placebo for the Treatment of Keloids and Hypertrophic Scars: Interaction and End of Study Analysis Viera, M; Perez, O; Patel, J; Zell, D; Konda, S; Huo, R; Amini, S; Berman, B
2. – Oral Polypodium Leucotomos Extract Supplement Decreases UVA-Induced “Common Deletion” in Healthy Volunteers Villa,A, Viera, M, Amini,S, Huo, R ; Perez, P, Ruiz ; Amador, A; Elgart, G; Berman, B
3.- Differentiation of Exogenous Ochronosis from Melasma by Dermoscopy Viera, M, Ricotti, C; Amini, S; Rabinovitz,H ; Romanelli,P; Berman, B
American Telemedicine Association (Meeting 2009)
1.- Interactive Continuing Medical Education in Dermatology to Latin America, the Caribbean, Alaska and Hawaii. Viera, M, Brewer,T, Simmons,S, Burdick, A
American Academy of Dermatology (Meeting 2010)
1.- A comparison study of the tensile strength of sutures used in dermatologic surgery before and after exposure to wound care products. Rajpara, V; Viera, M; Amini, S; Konda, Sailesh; Rouhani, Panta; Berman, B.
Winter Clinical Dermatology Conference Annual Meeting, Koloa, HI 2010
1.-Huo R, Valins W, Viera M, Amini S, Perez OA, Patel J, Keri JE, Li J, Berman B. Detection of TNF- a in Inflammatory and Non-Inflammatory Acneiform Lesions.
American Academy of Dermatology (Meeting 2011):
Valins W, Block S, Caperton C, Viera M, Amini S, Berman B. Exacerbation of Facial Acne Vulgaris After Consuming Chocolate. Poster session presented at: American Academy of Dermatology 68th Annual Meeting; 2011 February 4-8; New Orleans, LA.
“Expansion of the 2007 PICMED grant for Telemedicine Providing Continuing Medical Education in Dermatology to Latin America, Alaska and Hawaii,” American Telemedicine Association meeting, Las Vegas, NV, April 26, 200
Reviewer, International Journal of Dermatology (2008 – Present)
Languages: English, Spanish